tenhou

tenhou
tenhou

Friday, February 4, 2011

Breaking R1700 on Tenhou

After diligent work over a few months, I've reached R1700+ on tenhou!

I hovered around 1600 until recently. Over the last 2 weeks I've been working on my defensive strategy... and needless to say, it has paid off. I believe my ability to analyze and make decisions has improved consistently since I started playing again.

As a special treat, let's look over the game I won to get R1700.

Scene 1: East Round, First Hand
Me: Playing South
Question: What to discard here? What kind of hands can I plan for?





















Answer:
This was a difficult discard for me to figure out.
In the end, the only two options were 4 man and 7 man tiles. 4 man is dora, so I discarded the 7 man. However, should one discard the dora or the non-dora? I didn't want to commit, so the 7 seemed natural. If I meet a riichi, I can start discarding the Chuns to buy time if I'm scared.

This leaves me with 10 tiles to wait on... the 3 remaining 7 sou, the 3 remaining 2 pin, and the 4 remaining 5 pins.

I planned to riichi, considering my only yaku was the pon of Chun, and also considering the 4 man dora would probably get tossed for tenpai.

Result: I riichi 2 turns later on the 2-sided pin wait and tsumo, getting a nice Riichi, Menzen Tsumo, with Chun for 4000 points.

Scene 2:
East Round, 3rd Hand
Me: Playing West
Question: What Would You Discard? What hands are you looking for?





















Answer:
This is one of the heaven or hell hands. Either they pay off big or they make you cry when you discard into someone else's ron.

I wanted to be flexible with this hand. It has potential to be a yakuman (Suu An Kou - Four Closed Pons). It also has potential for:
- 2 or 3 dora
- Pon of Haku and Hatsu
-San An Kou (3 Closed Pons)
- Toi Toi (No Chi's)

Which is in the range of Mangan to Haneman--either of which is fine with me.
When I say "I want to be flexible"... I mean it's value is going to be relative to the discards my opponents give, and the draws I get. If someone drops a dora, I'm probably going to call and go for toi toi or a 2-sided wait. If I draw well, I'll go for Suu An Kou.





















:) I drew well. I got my Suu An Kou tenpai. I tsumo 2 turns later. Yakuman.

Final Scene:
East Round, 4th Hand
Me: Playing West
Question: What to Discard? What is the plan?




















Answer:
WIth 59400 points, it's hard to imagine that one would need a plan to win, especially when I'm so far in the head in the last hand of the match. But the main objective is to make sure no one grabs a monster--especially East since he/she can keep the play going.

This discard is tough to figure out. I ended up discard the 1 sou, intending to clear out the terminals and get a cheap tanyao. However I think this is a bad play.

5 pin is the best choice I think, and is the most flexible. 5 man would be just the same, if it wasn't a dora.

Here is some backup evidence via the Tenhou Shan-Ten-Uke Program:
http://tenhou.net/2/?q=223578m589p11677s

The game ended with a South ron on the North Player.
Tyche in 1st, now with a rating above 1700!

Please submit your questions and comments. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment